Monday, February 6, 2012

Garbanzo Sandwich Spread

Yesterday I came across this recipe and had to give it a try. It looked interesting, I already had the ingredients, and I need to bring lunch to school three times this week so it seemed like a good choice! Of course I changed it a bit to better suit my tastes, but it turned out quite well. Basically I made it the same way I make tuna salad and egg salad. The texture is surprisingly similar to that of tuna salad and I think it tastes quite good, too. You should definitely give it a try if you're a vegetarian. Even though I'm not a vegetarian, I still plan to make this for myself. It would be great on toasted wheat bread (or a bagel, mm!) with assorted veggies (I'm thinking tomato, cucumber, and alfalfa sprouts), or wheat crackers.

Quick note: I dislike the crunch of raw onion and celery in things, but feel free to add them instead of the onion and garlic powders if you want!

15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
4 T mayonnaise (you can use light, fat free or vegan)
1/2 T lemon juice
1/2 t dried dill
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Place the beans in a flat bottomed bowl and mash with a potato masher. It shouldn't be completely smooth, but you don't want whole beans. Stir in mayonnaise and other ingredients, then add salt and pepper to taste.

Yield: Enough for 3 or 4 sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment