Sunday, May 31, 2015

Secret Recipe Club: 30 Minute Dinner Rolls

This month's SRC recipe comes from the blog Hun... What's for Dinner?, which is written by a very nice sounding young stay-at-home mom of two adorable children.  She is a very busy cook and makes all kinds of things!  I really want to try her Stuffed Savory Ham and Cheese French Toast and Old Fashioned Tomato Noodle Soup (I feel these two would be really good paired together), but ended up choosing her 30 Minute Dinner Rolls.  The idea of rolls in 30 minutes really intrigued me and the picture she posted looked really good, so I gave it a go.

Lucky I did, too, because the rolls are so good!  They're quick, yes, but believe me when I say the quality does not suffer.  They're soft, puffy, and very, very tasty.  I have no idea how they're so good when they take so little effort, but you won't hear me complaining!  The main advantage to these I think is that without all of the kneading and rising, the guesswork of how long it will take to make the rolls is completely gone.  You can't really rush rising dough and it doesn't always cooperate with the other things you're trying to get on the table, but that's not really a problem with this recipe since the times are so predictable.



30 Minute Dinner Rolls

1/4 C sugar
1/3 C vegetable oil
1 C plus 2 Tbsp warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
4 C flour, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg

In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together sugar, oil, water, and yeast until yeast dissolves.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  The yeast should look creamy and have grown some.

Add 2 C of the flour, the salt, and the egg, then stir it in.  Stir in additional flour in 1/2 C increments until it's too difficult, then attach the dough hook and knead until the dough comes together and looks uniform.  It's okay if it's sticky and don't worry about kneading it past when the dough comes together.

Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish, grease your hands, and then form the dough into 12 equal sized balls and arrange them evenly in the dish.  Place the dish in the oven and let the rolls rise for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes have passed, turn the oven to 400.  Set your timer for 10 minutes once the oven finishes preheating.  The rolls are done baking when they're golden brown.

Yield: 12 large rolls


10 comments:

  1. I think there might be magic involved in these 30 minute rolls! :D They looks so light and fluffy. Great choice for this month's SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing better than fresh bread from the oven!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these rolls! They have saved many a dinner at our house. I am so glad that you enjoyed them. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a goner when it comes to bread. LOVE it! ANd I love that these only take 30 minutes. Can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good! Who could go wrong with bread...visiting from group C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, there's nothing better than fresh hot rolls from the oven. Love this post. I need to make these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only are the rolls you made beautiful but so is the lovely pan you baked them in! I am looking forward to making these rolls...especially after you gave them such a wonderful review!
    p.s. I had your blog this month for SRC - I made your Taco Pizza and LOVED it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making bread - I need to try these ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look fantastic, I am so going to try this once my A/C gets fixed and I can cook again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - just wow. I never make dinner rolls, but these look so delicious and do-able.

    ReplyDelete