Friday, October 14, 2011

Molasses Lace Cookies

This is what my mom calls an heirloom recipe. It's been in the family for ages and the recipe that I have for it is a photocopy of an index card that was handwritten by my mother back in the 1960s and had to copy down a handful of her favorite recipes to bring to her middle school and make in Home Ec. I think they're a favorite of pretty much everyone in the family! They were my uncle's all time favorite and he and my grandma both died 6 years ago so I think of them when I make them.

These cookies definitely earned their title as a family favorite. They're spicy with cinnamon, ginger and cloves and have lots of molasses flavor but aren't overwhelming. They're a little crunchy around the edges but soft in the middle and the perfect thickness: not too thin, not too thick. They also stay delicious for at least a week (I think it's the molasses) so are ideal for a cookie jar or to mail to someone. I hope you make them and love them too!


Molasses Lace Cookies


1 C shortening
1 C white sugar
1/4 C molasses (spray the measuring cup with no stick spray first so it comes out easily)
1 egg
2 C flour
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t salt

3 T sugar to roll them in

Preheat oven to 375 and line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Cream together the shortening, sugar, molasses and egg. Add the remaining ingredients (except the extra sugar!) all at once and mix until everything is combined. Pour the 3 tablespoons of extra sugar in a small bowl. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and then roll in the sugar before arranging 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake until edges darken just a tad and the center is set, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!

Yield: 24 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment