Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Zucchini Patties

My little garden is officially done for the year. Here are the last of my tomatoes, I think they're so pretty:

But I'm not sharing any tomato recipes right now. We're eating the red ones raw and the green ones are going in the freezer. But prepare for zucchini week, my friends! Yesterday my mother-in-law and I saved the last of my zucchini from the threat of frost. Here's what we got:


That's 6 pounds! I insisted that my mother-in-law take one of the smaller ones home with her but we still have a lot to use on our own before it goes bad. This summer I didn't cook a single thing that came from my garden (except green tomatoes) because everything was so good raw, but this is a lot of zucchini for two people so simply nibbling on it raw isn't going to cut it. To kick off the zucchini extravaganza, I made zucchini patties. They turned out quite yummy. Very cheesy and the zucchini flavor is mild so they'd be great if you're burned out on zucchini or cooking for someone who doesn't usually like it. We had ours with pizza sauce, buttered orzo, raw zucchini with ranch, and the last of the red tomatoes on the side and it was a pretty fun dinner for some reason.

The zucchini patties are my version of this recipe from AllRecipes.


Zucchini Patties

2 C grated zucchini, squeezed dry (measure after squeezing!)
1/2 C freshly grated parmesan
1/2 C grated mozzarella
2 eggs
1/3 C Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
3 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
olive oil

Stir together everything but the olive oil. Grease a large nonstick skillet with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium. When the skillet is hot, make 4 mounds of the zucchini mixture and flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side. Serve with pizza sauce or sour cream.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment