Monday, October 24, 2011

Wrapped Hot Dogs

My sophomore year of high school I was a foreign exchange student in Austria. The family I lived with was wonderful and the daughter is still my closest friend. She flew from Austria to Alaska to be in my wedding last year. My host mother (who is still one of my all time favorite people) made these frequently. Quick fact: In Austria they call hot dogs Frankfurters and another small sausage Wieners. In Germany, they call the hot dogs Wieners and the small sausages Frankfurters :D I always thought that was funny!

Anyway, my recipe for pizza dough makes enough for 2 pizzas so I often leave the extra dough in the fridge for a day or two and then make these. The dough is great after being in the fridge, it ages and the texture becomes chewier and more flavorful. You could make these with fresh dough too though. My host mother always topped them with cheese and caraway seeds. I'm not a big fan of caraway but feel free to include it!

Quick Note: You could easily make these into adorable mummy dogs for Halloween by leaving a gap in the dough at one end and then dabbing on mustard eyes when they come out of the oven, like this. I kinda meant to do that and made one of the hot dogs with a face peeking out, but... there was an "incident"... and that hot dog is no longer available to be photographed :D


Wrapped Hot Dogs

pizza dough, prepared according to recipe through first rise
hot dogs
grated cheese (optional)
caraway seeds (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or greased aluminum foil. Dry off the hot dogs. Divide the dough into balls about 2 inches across and, one at a time, roll the dough into a snake about 16 inches long. Flatten the snake slightly and wrap around the hotdog, pressing the seams to seal so the hot dog is completely encased. Repeat with the remaining dough and hot dogs. Sprinkle with grated cheese and caraway seeds if desired. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

Yield: Depends on how much pizza dough you use! A full batch will get you about 12 hot dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment