Monday, February 29, 2016

Slow Cooker Honey Basil Parmesan Pork Chops

This is a really unusual recipe.  I found it on the Who Needs a Cape blog a month or so ago and was just intrigued by the combination of ingredients.  You don't see honey, basil, cheese, and soy sauce together that often!  It did indeed turn out interesting.  The basil flavor is quite prominent (in a good way) and it's kind of sweet and savory.  This isn't the best meal I've ever cooked, but we did definitely enjoy it and I plan to make it again.  The gravy is really good over steamed broccoli and other veggies.
  
When I made it, I altered it a bit by changing the original romano to parmesan (I hate romano), and I reduced the amounts of basil and garlic because it seemed like a lot.  I also reduced the honey because I didn't want it to be too sweet, and found that the gravy needed only half the amount of cornstarch.  Below is how I made it, but I've listed the olive oil as optional because even though I added it, I don't see how it would be necessary.
  
  
Slow Cooker Honey Basil Parmesan Pork Chops
  
3 lbs pork chops (I trimmed off the fat and cut the chops in half because they were very thick)
3/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 C soy sauce
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp olive oil (optional)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp dried basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp cornstarch
  
Lightly grease the crock of a slow cooker and add pork chops.  Place cheese in a medium bowl and stir in remaining ingredients, except cold water and cornstarch.  Pour mixture over pork chops and turn to coat.
  
Cook on low 4-6 hours, exact amount of time will vary depending on the slow cooker and how thick the meat is.  I cooked mine in the Instant Pot on high for 1 hour, then regular for 4 hours.
  
Remove meat from slow cooker and set on a plate, cover with foil to keep it warm.  The juices in the slow cooker will have a lot of clumps of cheese and meat bits in it, so puree it with an immersion blender until smooth.  Bring liquid to a boil.  While you wait for it to boil, stir together the cold water and cornstarch, then stir it into the boiling liquid.  Cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly, then pour over the pork chops to serve.
  
Yield: 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment