Thursday, June 30, 2016

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

This is another recipe from Tasty, I've made a couple so far.  I can't help it, I like tater tot casserole, and for some reason had never thought of making a breakfast version before.  This one turned out really well, and I think it could be great for dinner, too.  The original called for 2 lbs of pork breakfast sausage and no veggies, but I hate pork sausage, so subbed ground turkey and sausage seasoning, and added mushrooms and a bell pepper.  My husband and I both thought the veggies added a lot and that it would be rather boring without them.  If I happen to have more bell peppers and mushrooms next time, I'll go ahead and toss them in!
 
Quick Note:  I used sausage seasoning I bought at a store, specifically the Prairie Sage variety from Hi Mountain.  I used 1 tablespoon.  If you don't have that, you can just use the garlic and spices from this recipe.  Also, I don't see why you couldn't prepare the recipe through putting the meat, veggies, soup, and cheese in the baking dish the night before, then covering it and refrigerating it.  In the morning,  you could add the tater tots and egg mixture, then bake.
 
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
 
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 lb ground turkey
sausage seasoning to taste
1 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 can condensed french onion soup
2 C grated cheddar
2 lbs tater tots
seasoned salt to taste
4 eggs
1 C milk
 
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.  Set aside.
 
Preheat large skillet over medium-high and add oil.  Crumble in ground turkey, and sprinkle with sausage seasoning.  Cook until cooked through.  Spoon into prepared baking dish and wipe out any remaining turkey bits.
 
Return skillet to stove and add bell peppers, cook for about 2 minutes, then add mushrooms and cook until both veggies are tender.  Add to baking dish with turkey sausage.
 
Pour soup over meat and veggies in baking dish and stir until well mixed.  Spread evenly in dish.  Top with grated cheddar, then tater tots.  
 
Beat together eggs and milk, then pour over tater tots.  Sprinkle lightly with seasoned salt.
 
Bake casserole until center is completely cooked through (temperature should reach 160 degrees so you know the eggs are cooked).  I covered mine with foil after 40 minutes so the tater tots wouldn't over cook, then baked it 20 minutes longer.
 
Remove casserole from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes so it can set up a little bit.  Serve with fresh fruit.
 
Yield: 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment