Sunday, July 3, 2016

SRC: Cheesy Rigatoni Bake

I think this month's Secret Recipe Club was just about my quickest turnaround between getting my blog assignment and making the recipe!  I was assigned the blog Crazed Mom, which is written by a mom of 5 (and grandma of 1!) named Nicole.  Nicole is a very prolific blogger and has a ton of recipes to pick from.  I'll probably make more of her recipes this month (specifically looking at Ranch Mac & Cheese, Weeknight Philly Cheesesteaks, Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes, and the very intriguing Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls), but the first one I made turned out so well, that I'm choosing it for SRC.
 
The recipe I made is Cheesy Rigatoni Bake.  I chose it because my husband and I love cheesy tomato noodle type casseroles, and I hadn't made one in months and months.  This one looked interesting because it has two types of sauces, neither of which are stirred into the rigatoni, and I liked that it didn't have nearly as much cheese as most similar recipes.  My husband loves cheese, but can't have a ton of it.
 
The casserole was really good.  As expected, the sauces did seep down into the rigatoni some (in a very delicious way!), but the two types didn't completely blend together.  Between the white sauce and the cheese, the top got perfectly bubbly and golden and irresistible.  The casserole cut into pieces better than most because of the eggs that help bind the pasta together.  I added pepperoni to the top of half of the casserole since there's no meat in the recipe and the layering kind of reminded me of pizza anyway.  We thought the pepperoni was really nice and I'll probably top the entire thing with pepperoni next time.  This is a definite repeat recipe!
 
Pardon the especially bad photo, my camera broke and I had to use my iPad.
 
  
Cheesy Rigatoni Bake
 
1 lb rigatoni pasta
4 eggs
1 tsp salt, divided
16 oz can Four Cheese Hunt's spaghetti sauce (or another flavor)
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
2 1/4 C milk
2 C grated mozzarella
sliced pepperoni (optional)
1/3 C grated fresh parmesan 
 
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9 by 13 baking dish.
 
Cook the rigatoni in lightly salted water until al dente.  You want it to be a little less cooked than you'd prefer because it will cook longer in the oven and the noodles will get softer.  Drain noodles and set aside to cool for a few minutes so the eggs won't cook on contact.
 
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat and whisk in flour.  Whisk constantly for about a minute, then whisk in about 1/4 C milk until completely smooth.  Add milk in 1/4 C additions, being sure to whisk between additions until the sauce is completely smooth.  Once all the milk has been added, bring sauce to a simmer while whisking constantly, and cook for about a minute.  Stir in 1/2 tsp salt.  Remove from heat and set aside.
 
Whisk eggs in a small bowl, then add to rigatoni with 1/2 tsp salt.  Stir until pasta is coated, then pour into prepared baking dish.  Spread spaghetti sauce evenly over top.  Sprinkle with mozzarella.  Spread white sauce over the cheese, then top with the pepperoni, if you're using it.  Sprinkle with the parmesan.  
 
Bake casserole until bubbly all over and the top is golden, about 40 minutes.  Let sit for 15 minutes before serving so it can set up some.
  
Yield: 8 servings

20 comments:

  1. This looks seriously amazing. I can't wait to make it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermind the iPad, the photo makes the dish look delicious!! Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's still appealing with the terrible photography!

      Delete
  3. Hi!!! I had you this month and made your pork mushroom cabbage stir-fry - beyond delicious and totally restaurant worthy :-D Great pick as well with the rigatoni

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes - this is the ultimate in savoury comfort food. Great recipe choice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, don't you hate to have a camera problem right when you need it for the blog? But, I actually think your iPad did a pretty good job, as I sit here salivating... ;-)

    Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! My food photography is normally awful, and the iPad isn't doing it any favors :P

      Delete
  6. I'm drooling now. Love, love, love pasta and cheese, and the two sauces together, well I think I'll have to make this for a future gathering, as soon as my oven gets fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, broken oven! I hope it will get fixed quickly.

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy you picked this recipe (and reminded me of how much we like it so we can make it again!) I'm glad you guys loved it and I love your pepperoni addition. Thanks for all the kind words!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. With a blog called Cheese with Noodles, it really comes as no surprise that you love cheesy noodle type dishes. This one looks absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so delicious and something my family would eat up right away. Too bad I didn't find it when I had her blog last month. Oh well we had another delicious recipe and now I have this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious .... you've picked a great recipe for reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mac 'n cheese. And with a crusty top and a bit of a tomato-y taste, it sounds out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is right up my alley! GREAT SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey i just love this recipe with mozzarella cheese.it looks very delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete